Tuesday 26 May 2015

My Definitive List of Disney Classics

It irritates me that so many of the Disney Classics are undervalued by people. Of course there's no arguing that The Lion King is a masterpiece, Snow White's pretty dated and there are a whole host no one's ever heard of. But I'm here to educate you on what Disney films you might have missed but must buy and see.

So as far as I'm aware, here are the 53 Disney Classics that have been released as of May 2015 (UPDATE May 2017) when I write this:

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Pinocchio 
4. Dumbo
5. Bambi
6. Saludos Amigos
7. The Three Caballeros
8. Make Mine Music
9. Fun and Fancy Free
10. Melody Time
11. Ichabod and Mr Toad
12. Cinderella
13. Alice in Wonderland
14. Peter Pan
15. Lady and the Tramp
16. Sleeping Beauty
17. 101 Dalmatians
18. The Sword in the Stone
19. The Jungle Book
20. The Aristocats
21. Robin Hood
22. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
23. The Rescuers
24. The Fox and the Hound
25. The Black Cauldron 
26. Basil the Great Mouse Detective
27. Oliver and Company
28. The Little Mermaid
29. The Rescuers Down Under
30. Beauty and the Beast
31. Aladdin
32. The Lion King
33. Pocahontas
34. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
35. Hercules
36. Mulan
37. Tarzan
38. Fantasia 2000
39. The Emperor's New Groove
40. Atlantis
41. Lilo and Stich
42. Treasure Planet
43. Brother Bear
44. Home on the Range
45. Chicken Little
46. The Wild
47. Meet the Robinsons
48. Bolt
49. The Princess and the Frog
50. Tangled
51. Wreck-it Ralph
52. Frozen
53. Big Hero 6
54. Zootropolis/Zootopia
55. Moana

Now I can't claim to have seen all 55, but I have seen my fair share (80%) to know that Disney doesn't always get it right. But more astoundingly, us, the audience, don't always get it right either.

Let me help you. Here are, in my opinion, ten Disney films that are under appreciated:

1. Oliver and Company
2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
3. Hercules
4. The Emperor's New Groove
5. Lilo and Stich
6. Treasure Planet
7. Brother Bear
8. Meet the Robinsons
9. Bolt
10. Wreck-it Ralph

I know Lilo and Stich is pretty popular, but ask yourselves this; would it be as popular if Stich wasn't so merchandised? Thinking about it, that might be where these films made mistakes. They're not as easy to merchandise. Princess films create princess dresses every little girl (and sometimes boy and there's nothing wrong with that) - and adult - wants to wear. Growing up, I wanted an Ariel dress but alas, my wish didn't come true. I didn't include The Princess and the Frog here because there's some good merchandise for it. You might not have seen it but you know who Tiana is right? I bet you don't know who Lewis is. No, not the crocodile in The Princess and the Frog, that's Louis. Any other guesses? No? I didn't think so.

Cute side-kicks turned into cuddly toys are a goldmine for Disney. Think of Olaf - he didn't add much to Frozen if you ask me. He's my least favourite character in the whole film, but they kept him in for a reason. That reason? Merchandising!

All ten of those films I love and could watch again and again but if I had to pick one to force you to watch it would be The Emperor's New Groove. That film gets funnier with every watch. It's aimed just as much at adults as it is for kids. I'm astounded people don't rate this in their top funniest films ever.

So now you might be wondering what in my opinion are ten Disney films that have been hyped to death:

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Bambi
3. Peter Pan
4. The Jungle Book
5. The Little Mermaid
6. Beauty and the Beast
7. Aladdin
8. The Lion King
9. Tangled
10. Frozen

Now before you go screaming at me, I'm not saying these are bad films. These films will always be known by everyone and that's just the way it is. They're over hyped for a reason. These are Disney's true successes. Tell me you haven't seen more of this list than the previous one?

I rest my case.

All I'm trying to say is that instead of watching Aladdin for the 30th time, why not go for Treasure Planet? It's masterpiece, I assure you. Instead of singing Let it Go for the 185,389th time, why not listen to the songs from The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Again, outstanding). 

Disney is more magical if you broaden your horizons. Plus if you haven't seen Hercules we can't be friends.

P.S. Big Hero 6 is incredible.

P.P.S. In case you were wondering, I'm one of those 'Pixar can do no wrong' type of people. (Except Cars 2) #sorrynotsorry


Molly Looby
Disney Obsessed / Author / Blogger
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment