Last year for #IreadYA week I posted a blog about Books Nobody's Reading That Everyone Should Be Reading, celebrating some of my favourite YA books that for some reason other people aren't reading and shouting about! Since then, I can't say the list has changed that much so I won't be writing a new one. Instead, I'll do something different.
Here are a list of reasons to read YA;
- YA says things other genres are afraid of saying
- You can fall in love over and over again
- You can enter a world nothing like your own
- You can learn about real issues
- You make imaginary best friends
- You will laugh and cry--sometimes at the same time
- There are endless possibilities
- YA teaches you that you are not alone
There are thousands of reasons to read YA, but I think the most important one of all is:
YA is honest.
You want to know what it feels like to be heartbroken, bullied, trapped in an apocalypse, the chosen one? Whatever you want, it'll be there, ready for you.
YA is a world that anyone can escape to, not just the young adults the books are marketed to.
So pick up a YA. You might be a changed reader.
Author / Editor in Chief at Molten Publishing / Freelance Editor / Writing Coach / Reviewer / Blogger / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready